Saturday, May 17, 2008

A new beginning


Today was the 138th Commencement Ceremony of University of Arizona, class of 2008. The ceremony started at around 8:30 today morning with a walk from Main Library building to the McKale center.

The entry into the stadium was magnificent. I felt like I was in a state of trance. The whole crowd was cheering us - the graduates, from the stadium and as we entered, we could hear the loud roaring sound from all around. That sound of applause will surely remain etched into my memories for a long time. We felt like celebrities! Or even better, like soldiers coming home, victorious.





And above all, I felt even more proud as I knew that among thousands of spectators were my parents. Cheering for me. With a smile of satisfaction and pride.
All the caffeine stimulated nights, hours of study, anxiety over grades, daily walks under bright hot sun to the department, effort put into reading unintelligible hand-writings of undergraduate students while grading as TA, sleeping hungry due to lack of energy to cook, disappointments over low grades and all difficult times seemed like a dull memory of past, faded in the glory of the moment at present. It was the climactic culmination of all this. A composition ending on a high note. Like a sunset that is optimistic with the coming day's new hopes.

[Image source:
http://www.redelephants.com/acatalog/96013t.jpg]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.. someone is getting very nostalgic! I hope I also get a feeling of achievement when I graduate :P

JerryNJ said...

Congrats on graduating from the UofA. When I graduated, the then outgoing university president, John Schaeffer, was the keynote speaker.

His tenure oversaw The UofA being incorporated into the Pacific-10 Athletic Conference. That alliance brought the university added esteem across the country.

I undestand that Frank Borman spoke at commencement. I hope that he inspired you to shoot for the stars.

Regards
Bear Down Forever.
JerryNJ

Gandalf said...

@Niki

You sure will. With a clean 4.0!

@Jerry

Yes, his speech was excellent. Very inspiring and full of enthusiasm.

Good to know a fellow alumni. I am joining Bloomberg in NYC and will be living in NJ. Which place do you work?

Tapasya said...

Congratulations! God bless you. I'm waiting for next May!

Soham Shah said...

Congratulations dear !!

It cant get better than this - your parents clapping and applauding while you take a walk..

I also had tht special moment last year when I took a walk at our commencement ceremony with my mom, dad and especially naani cheering me !!

A truely nostalgic post for me !!

Unknown said...

so any plans of coming to India now?

Gandalf said...

As I am on OPT, I won't be able to travel for the next year at least. And Ma Papa are here. So I am happy for the moment :)

JerryNJ said...

Regret that I did not drop bye to check here after I had posted.

The answer to your question is "7 Lincoln Square", it's at 67th and Columbus.

Good luck to you
*!*