Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gray

Gray color is normally not many people's favorite color. Neither is it mine in normal circumstances. Yet I consider that color to be special in many ways.

Today I woke up to a gray morning. It had been raining since night and the dawn was very different from the usual day breaks. It was covered in the gray colored cloak of mist. My fascination for such weather is not unknown. Such days, which many people call 'Depressing', never fail to elevate my soul.

I am writing this sitting besides a window on the train to NY. Tiny rain drops are splashing the window glass and making beautiful music. Gray hills, gray woods, small gray houses and semi transparent gray fog. The lack of clarity makes trees at a distance look like small hills. As if the trees are pretending to be more mature like hills. Just like small kids would wear a fake mustaches and long coats to pretend to be an adult.

I am passing over the calm waters of a river. The fog seems to gel well with the surface the water. The river is so motionless that the fog seems to rest on the water. Calm and beautiful. I always quote Oscar Wilde when it comes to describing the magic of unclarity. He says clarity kills the fun. It ruins the beauty. A rose covered with mist is always more beautiful.

Imagine taking a walk on a morning which has bathed in the night rain. The streets are wet and that unique wet earth's smell fills the air. The fog wraps around everything. Acting like a comforter or a rug. Protecting you temporarily from the harsh world surrounding you. Would you rather take a walk on such a morning or on a morning brightly lit by the summer sun? I would rather prefer the cool beads of mist than sweat dripping off my forehead.

Gray is the color of uncertainty. Don't we say 'It looks gray to me'. And isn't it also true that such uncertainty makes life much more exciting and interesting? That's why gray holds a special place in the spectrum of colors in my opinion.

Now the gray color around me has vanished into the thin air and it is replaced by thick black color of darkness. The train has just entered the tunnel approaching NY Penn Station. It has indeed put a stop to the train of my thoughts now.

Signing off....
Gandalf

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the moments were relived by your description. thanks for riding me through the spectrum of grays.

Priyanka said...

I would prefer waking up to a bright morning.. prob of getting wet in the pedal rick would be close to 0 then :P