Monday, March 10, 2008

My First Rental Car in US

After two attempts at driving test, a few weeks ago, I finally managed to get the Driver's License here in Arizona. Special thanks to Qadirbhai for his relentless efforts, his time, his guidance and his car. And also Akshay and Samba for taking me for practice!

Unlucky that I am, I flunked the test in first attempt because I was 'under-speeding'. I was going at the speed of 25mph where the limit was 35mph. And the officer who was taking my test, failed me. Aah, felt bad. Then next week again, Akshay and I went to the DMV but it was a holiday. Third week of waiting and again came Saturday. Qadirbhai was back in the instructor's seat and we went for the second attempt. And this time I made it! Perfection eluded me even then and I lost 8 points for using wrong lane. But because it was more than 80% overall, they passed me.

Equipped with the 'License to Drive', I rented a car from Enterprise here for the first time over this weekend. I had asked for a standard sized sedan and what they gave me was this!



On second thought, this was not bad! They upgraded my request from standard to SUV as they didn't have any standard sized cars. And as I had not driven a SUV before, I was a bit hesitant. But looking back, it was fun driving this Jeep for 3 days.

My iPhone was a great help in finding my way to places. The Google Maps and inbuilt GPS like function are fantastic. I realized true value of iPhone now! A funny incident happened when I got stuck at the gas station. I had no clue how to operate the pump so I asked someone who was filling up his bike. He explained to me the operation and then I managed to use it. (Ok, I know it sounds dumb but I tried to handle the pump myself and couldn't do it. So i had to ask !)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe.. nice blog man..

--waj

Natasha said...

Hey awesome. Wish me luck, my turn is this weekend with practice, and hopefully next week i'll have a date with the MVD :)

I want an iPhone!!! :( but am on tmobile.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Congratulations for the driving license..I got my california driving license in the third & last atempt even though in India i was driving since my 12th std. So you are not alone in the planet in failing the behind-the-wheel test..Bravo !!!

Happy driving but be careful !!!

SOham

Gandalf said...

Hehe .. Thanks for the reassurance Soham! I felt pathetic when I failed first time.

Anonymous said...

hehe..it looks like u won a battle :P! jokes apart, congrats for the license.